Everyone knows there are not enough academic jobs to go around for all the well-qualified and enthusiastic candidates in the market. Whether this is down to oversupply of PhDs or undersupply of jobs, the fact remains there is a good chance that you will need to execute some kind of Plan B.
This seminar provides an introduction to various key points:
- Accepting the reality of not getting an academic job.
- Imagining who you could be outside of the university.
- The pros and cons of being part of an organisation.
- The pros and cons of going it alone.
- Creating a roadmap to the alternative academic you.
- The necessity of different forms of intellectual community.
This seminar is for the following people:
- PhD researchers.
- Early career academics in fixed-term positions.
- Established academics considering a change of direction.
Time: 6-7 pm, Thursday 21 March.
Place: Ross House, 247 Flinders Lane, Melbourne
This seminar is free, but registration is essential. Email RSVPs by 14 March to: email@example.com
Held by Dr Joseph Gelfer, who has written several books in the fields of masculinity and spirituality while maintaining a career in the publishing industry and personal/business coaching. Further information at www.gelfer.net.